What we believe
We hold to a faith that affirms very simple, yet profound, truths about who God is, how Jesus Christ has died for our sins, and how this allows anyone to experience peace with God and life to the full through the power of the Holy Spirit.
These beliefs are explained in the Statement of Faith of the Fellowship of Evangelical Baptist Churches, which is the denomination Greenbelt is affiliated with.
We believe that before he left the earth, Jesus Christ gave his followers a clear mission. These words of Jesus are recorded in Matthew 28:19-20, in what is often referred to as “the Great Commission”:
“Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.”
We summarize this at Greenbelt in our mission statement as Leading people in Knowing, Living and Sharing Jesus.
A vision statement clearly communicates what the future could, should, and must look like for a team to be successful.
At Greenbelt, if we stay on mission and live out our core values, we believe we will see our vision become a reality and be a congregation that is “A vibrant, growing Christian community engaged in reaching 10,000 people with the gospel.”
Our core values
Core values are attitudes and beliefs that explain why any congregation, organization, or team does what it does.
Each congregation is different, and Greenbelt has its own individual personality. We have six core values that drive our ministry to attend the vision God has given us for our church.
They are, respectively:
- Relevant: We strive to stay culturally applicable while remaining true to God’s word. We are the church of today.
- Real: We strive to be authentic in our relationships – with God and with each other. Sunday masks and facades are not required.
- Welcoming: We desire to cultivate a sense of love and belonging, purposefully integrating people into community. At Greenbelt, everyone is welcomed.
- Caring: We strive to be a place that feels like family, drawing people into a deeper relationship with Jesus. Everyone matters to God and you matter to us.
- Purposeful: We seek to be intentional about leading people in their growing relationship with Jesus wherever they are on their journey. As God pours into us, we pour into others.
- Simple: We strive to keep ministry clear and focused. Life is complicated – church shouldn’t be.